Deadline: April 7, 2022
The Young African Leaders Programme funded by the European Commission is a tailor-made fellowship and training programme aiming at catalysing and fostering changes as envisioned in the Africa Agenda 2063 and in the Africa-EU Partnership. After a pilot cohort in Autumn 2021, the second cohort of Young African Leaders is expected in Florence in September 2022
The Young African Leaders Programme is a fellowship scheme that provides a unique opportunity for policy experts from Africa (all regions) to further develop their policy work and professional and leadership skills amidst international experts.
Furthermore, the Programme aims at creating new networks, connecting a strong cohort of leaders committed to driving change in their own countries and across the continent, as well as address the gender gaps and foster inclusivity in leadership roles.
In the dynamic academic environment of the European University Institute (EUI) in Florence, selected participants will take part in workshops, training and skills development sessions, conferences, and study visits in Europe. Interaction with the other fellows, policymakers and the academic community at the EUI will make this a truly unforgettable experience.
The structure of the Programme will be as follows:
- Executive Training Seminars on thematic issues;
- Professional Development Workshops, providing a set of leadership skills, tools and concrete case studies;
- Study Visits to EU institutions, relevant academia, and international organisations
- Final individual written assignment
- Award of the YALP certificate of attendance
- Connection to network of scholars and practitioners knowledgeable in relevant transnational governance
- The three-month leadership programme takes place from the 1 September 2022 to the 30 November 2022. Fellowships are fully-funded with a grant of € 2,500 per month. The selected African fellows must live in the area of Florence for the duration of their stay. The language of the Programme is English. Where possible, the STG will seek to integrate French. The Programme has an intensive training schedule, and is therefore a full-time and fully-funded fellowship scheme.
- There will be around 30 fellowships available.
- The basic grant is € 2,500 per month.
- Successful applicants who receive other grants or salaries must disclose this to the EUI. The amount of the Fellowship will be fixed at a lower rate (minimum €1,750 per month) depending on the amount of the additional income (upon production of relevant supporting documents).
- If applicable, family allowances will be added to the basic grant.
- Family Allowances
- A household allowance of up to € 300 per month is paid to a fellow with a partner if the partner lives with them in Florence and on the condition that the partner’s income is less than € 2,000 per month. The sum of income and allowance cannot exceed € 2,000 per month (i.e. if the income is more than € 1,700, the allowance will be paid only to top up to € 2,000).
- An allowance of € 200 per month is paid for each dependent child. Fellows are entitled to these allowances if they can declare that they are not receiving any similar allowance from another source, and upon submission of relevant supporting documents (i.e. marriage or partner certificate, or proof of cohabitation in Florence; birth certificates).
- For dependent children in full-time education and over the age of 18, a school or university certificate is required. No allowance is paid for dependent children over the age of 26.
The fellowship is not taxed by the EUI. Fellows are, however, required to comply with any other tax provisions which may be applicable to them.
- Medical Insurance
Fellows must have adequate medical insurance coverage during their stay at the Institute. They can either provide proof of their own insurance scheme, or subscribe to the EUI’s private sickness and health insurance scheme at their own expense. See the Cigna Insurance Scheme for conditions.
- Travel Expenses
Fellows (but not their families) receive reimbursement for the incoming trip from their place of origin to Florence, and for the outgoing trip to their destination at the end of their fellowship.
- First-class rail (travel by car is also reimbursed on this basis).
- Economy class air fare
The maximum amount for travel reimbursement amounts to €1,200 including both incoming and outgoing trip. Taxi expenses are not reimbursed.
- Removal/ Re-installment expenses
There is no provision for removal or installation expenses.
- The Programme targets mid-career, high potential policy-makers, diplomats, and professionals from Africa, working in national and local authorities, regional, continental, international organizations and development partners, civil society organizations, academia, media and private sector, in Africa.
- More precisely, the Programme is open to professionals (M/F/X), mid-career and executives alike, who are nationals of African countries, residing in Africa and are up to the age of 35.
Eligible Regions: African Countries
- Before you apply, please carefully read the Young African Leaders Programme web pages where you can find detailed information about the application process and eligibility criteria, and make sure that you provide the correct documents and information in your application.
- You need to ensure that your application and all required documents, including the contact details of your referee, are submitted by 7 April 2022 midnight (23:59 Italian time) in order for it to be considered.
Starting your application
- If your already registered with the portal and started an application, please enter your credentials you registered with to log in.
- Please note you only will have an account if you have started any new application recently within this application cycle, or if you have already been enrolled in the EUI as a student, researcher or a fellow. If you have applied in past to this or a different programme, but did not join the EUI, you will need to create a new account.
- If the system does not recognize your login details, please try to register again by clicking Register here below.
- If you already have an account, but you cannot remember your password, please click ‘Password forgotten’ to reset your password.
Please note: do not use mobile devices, such as phone or tablet, to log in or reset password in the applicant portal. If you receive an error when using a mobile phone, please try to use a PC instead. If you keep getting an error, please try a different web browser. For further assistance, please consult the Help pages.
- If your already have an account, please log in.
- Please note you will have an account if you have started a new application within this academic year, or if you have an affiliation with EUI, such as current or previous student, researcher or fellow.
Please note it is not recommended to use a mobile device when accessing the applicant portal.
Create an account
If you do not have an account, please complete the registration form via the link given in the Apply Now link. Please note if you have applied in previous application cycles but were not admitted or did not join EUI, you will need to register again.