Deadline: May 29, 2022
Year Here is a course in social innovation that is grounded in the daily experience of those at the frontline of inequality and focused on launching social businesses with the potential for huge impact.
We think that starting a social enterprise could be your best shot at impact. Our Fellows pick up the tools of business to fight injustice. While other startups are flogging dating apps or designing solutions to some other middle-class inconvenience, we focus on problems that really matter.
To tackle the housing crisis, the growing needs of our ageing population or the reality of violent crime on our streets, we must start by listening and learning at the frontline of inequality. So your journey as a Year Here Fellow could start in a homeless hostel, care home or pupil referral unit.
THE YEAR AHEAD
Over 10 months, you’ll learn how to build entrepreneurial solutions to society’s toughest problems – from educational inequality to homelessness. If selected to become a Fellow, you will:
- Get frontline insights. You’ll spend the first 5 months working with the people hit hardest by austerity and gaining deep user insight. To deepen your systemic understanding, you’ll also work on briefs set by clients like Crisis, the NHS and the Greater London Authority.
- Meet your co-founders. Our Fellows have an average of 7 years’ career experience in fields ranging from biochemistry to law, and from journalism to engineering. They will become your support network, your collaborators and, ultimately, your co-founders.
- Build scalable ventures. You’ll test and build your own social business, with the potential to progress to our Incubator and launch it into the world. Venture teams are guided by expert partners like the Boston Consulting Group, ForwardPMX, and BNY Mellon.
- Learn from expert faculty. You’ll get a personal mentor and receive tonnes of training from a faculty of more than 80 social innovation leaders – from award-winning social designer Lauren Currie OBE to Nishant Lalwani, Director of Investments at The Omidyar Network.
COSTS + FUNDING
Unlike a Master’s degree or MBA, we have no tuition fee, our course is free. This is a reimagination of higher education. Rather than spending a year in a lecture hall and paying £10,000 for the privilege, we challenge you to learn by doing – working on real social impact projects. Our partners pay us to be involved and that covers your tuition costs.
To widen access to the program we have a small number of means-tested bursaries available and offer additional support through TfL discounts and recommendations for flexible paid work and affordable accommodation.
Find out more about costs and funding.
We’re looking for people with a solid professional skillset and an entrepreneurial track record. This doesn’t mean you have to have started your own business before but you will need to demonstrate that you have a bias towards action. Drive, passion for social justice, and strong learning orientation are also essential. Typically, 1 in 10 applicants secures a place in the program.
Find out more about what we look for.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
- The first step takes 5 minutes.
- Sign up to check your eligibility. If you’re eligible, you’ll be sent an online application form.
- Applications are currently closed but you can register your interest for the 2022/23 program and keep updated.
Click Here To Apply
Join our telegram grow to get hot business funding opportunities, business tips & business ideas