Application Deadline: June 13, 2021 at 11:59pm EDT
Waislitz Global Citizen Awards are annual cash prizes totaling $250,000 that recognize the excellence of individuals in their work to end extreme poverty.
The Global Citizen Award grand prize is $100,000 with three additional prizes at $50,000 each, for a total of four prizes.
Awards are presented by the Waislitz Foundation and Global Citizen, and in 2021 are supported by the leading US and Australian based cellular medicines company, Mesoblast Ltd.
“Ending extreme poverty is not a choice, it’s an obligation. My hope is that it will inspire many thousands of people around the world to do what they can to improve the living standards of those in dire need,” Chairman and Founder of the Melbourne-based Waislitz Foundation, Alex Waislitz.
The Waislitz foundation exists to create a positive social impact locally and globally through innovative projects that empower individuals to meet their full potential and make a measurable difference to the world.
Waislitz Global Citizen Awards Prize Description
This 2021 Waislitz Global Citizen Awards feature four awards totaling $250,000.
- $100,000: Grand Prize
- $50,000: Disruptor Award
- $50,000: Choice Award
- $50,000: COVID-19 Response Award
- In addition to the cash prizes, the four winners will be profiled in editorial pieces that will be featured on the Global Citizen platform and social media.
Please note, due to COVID-19, there will not be an award ceremony in 2021.
Waislitz Global Citizen Awards Evaluation Criteria
All applicants will be evaluated based on individual merit, including the following five key areas:
- GLOBAL CITIZENSHIP: How does the applicant embody and exemplify the values and practices of a Global Citizen?
- PROOF OF CONCEPT: Does the applicant have a strong proof of concept with at least 1-2 years of impact towards ending extreme poverty?
- DISRUPTION: Has the applicant created measurable impact in an innovative manner that disrupts the systems that allow for extreme poverty to exist?
- SCALABILITY: How would this award enable/support the applicant to scale or improve their work?
- ADAPTABILITY: Can the applicant demonstrate examples of their ability to adapt and evolve to changing conditions?
Grand prize will be awarded to an applicant based on the 5 criteria listed above.
Disruptor Award will be awarded to an individual who excels in the “Disruption” criteria.
Choice Award will be selected with input from public online voting by the Global Citizen community.
Response Award will be awarded to an applicant who excels in the “Adaptability” criteria and has implemented a specific adaptation, pivot or new program that addresses the impacts of COVID-19.