Application Deadline: July 15, 2021
The UNESCO Sultan Qaboos Prize for Environmental Conservation is a biennial award “to afford recognition to outstanding contributions by individuals, groups of individuals, institutes or organizations in the management or preservation of the environment, consistent with the policies, aims and objectives of UNESCO, and in relation to the Organization’s programmes in this field”.
Candidates must have made an outstanding contribution in one of the following fields:
- Environmental and natural resources research;
- Environmental education and training;
- Creation of environmental awareness through the preparation of environmental information materials;
- Establishment and management of protected areas, such as biosphere reserves and natural World Heritage site
This prestigious Prize has been made possible through a generous donation to UNESCO by His Majesty Sultan Qaboos Bin Said Al-Said of Oman in 1989.
Nomination of Candidates for the UNESCO Sultan Qaboos Prize
- When UNESCO has received thé funding of thé prize, as indicated in Article 2 above, the Director-General of UNESCO shall officially invite thé submission of nominations to the Secretariat of the Prize, by 15 July every two years, from thé governments of Member States, in consultation with their National Commissions, as well as from non-governmental organizations maintaining official partnerships with thé Organization and active in relevant fields covered by thé Prize.
- Nominations shall be submitted to thé Director-General by thé governments of Member States, in consultation with their National Commissions, and by non-governmental organizations maintaining official partnerships with UNESCO and active in relevant fields covered by thé Prize. A self-nomination cannot be considered.
- Each nomination shall be accompanied by a written recommendation, which shall include, in English or French, inter alia:
(a) a description of thé candidate’s background and achievements;
(b) a summary of thé work or thé results of thé work, publications and other supporting documents of major importance submitted for considération;
(c) a definition of the candidate’s contribution to thé Prize’s objectives.