Application Deadline: June 30, 2021
Upon the concept of the founder of the Matsumae International Foundation (MIF), “Towards A Greater Understanding of Japan and a Lasting World Peace”, MIF started the Research Fellowship Program in 1980.
- Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meets all the following eligibility requirements is invited to submit application documents.
- Applicants must obtain Letter of Invitation from Host Institution in Japan.
- Applicants must hold Ph.D. (Doctoral degree).
- Applicants must be at the age of 49 years old or younger at the time when application documents are submitted.
- Applicants must have sufficient abilities in the English or Japanese languages.
- Applicants should not have past or current experiences of staying in Japan. (Except for short-term stay such as sightseeing and conferences)
- Applicants must have an occupation in your home county, return there upon completion of your fellowship tenure and should contribute to development of your country.
Fields of research such as natural science, engineering and medicine are considered with first priorities.
3 to 6 months within the period between April 2022 and March 2023.
Every applicant is required to indicate the length of your stay mentioning commencing and ending month.
E.g. For 6 months from September 2022 to February 2023.
HOST INSTITUTION IN JAPAN
Applicant is free to choose a host institution (universities, national research institutions or the corresponding facilities in private sector) to carry out your research. You must obtain acceptance from a host institution prior to submitting your application.
MIF is not in a position to give advice or recommendation to an applicant for a host institution in Japan.
The following financial supports are provided to successful applicants.
- Fellowships are provided to the successful applicants only, and intended for necessary living expenses and research activities in Japan. Under no circumstances, this fellowship is transferable.
- Monthly Allowance ————————- JPY 220,000/month is provided for expenses for research materials and living expenses.
- Insurance ————————————- Overseas Travel Accident/Sickness Insurance:
- Personal accident insurance with death benefit and medical treatment.
- Sickness insurance with death benefit and medical treatment.
- Air Transportation ————————– Round-trip air tickets: Economy class, the most direct and economical route between the nearest international airport from the successful applicant’s domicile and Tokyo.
- Start-up Fund upon Arrival ————— JPY120,000 is provided to cover the initial costs to start a new research stay in Japan.
Fellowship Announcement (PDF) Download