Deadline: 3 March 2022.
The FirstRand Foundation scholarship, to the value of R925 000, is available to previously disadvantaged South African citizens for postgraduate study outside South Africa in any discipline at an international university of their choice.
The successful candidates will have excelled academically in their chosen field and will have been able to demonstrate:
- leadership qualities;
- strength of character;
- community involvement; and
- potential to be a destiny changer in his or her chosen field.
- Preference will be given to candidates under the age of 35.
- Candidates who are currently, or have been studying overseas, will not be considered for this scholarship.
- Successful candidates are required to return to South Africa for at least five years after completing their studies.
Confirmation of each received application will be emailed to the applicant upon receipt of his or her application.
All applications are evaluated by at least three preliminary evaluators from FirstRand, FNB, RMB, and previous winners of the scholarship. A long list of around 40 applicants is then drawn up and interviewed in person, Covid-19 allowing, in Cape Town or Sandton or electronically on Microsoft Teams.
Ten shortlisted candidates are selected for the FirstRand Laurie Dippenaar and FirstRand Foundation international postgraduate scholarships and the FirstRand Oxford African Studies scholarship and should be available for final interviews held in Sandton on Tuesday 10 May 2022.
Four shortlisted candidates are selected for the two education scholarships and should be available for final interviews held in Sandton on Tuesday 17 May 2022.
A final announcement will be made before the end of May 2022.