Application Deadline: 23 April 2021
The Cherie Blair Foundation for Women’s flagship Mentoring Women in Business program was born from the belief in the power of mentoring, a realization of the role technology can play in building connections, and a view that community is a powerful force for change.
By forging these elements together, we created a new way to support women entrepreneurs around the world to grow and strengthen their businesses and build their skills, confidence, and knowledge.
Working with partners all around the world, we match experienced business people in any country with woman entrepreneurs in low and middle-income countries for a cross-border, entirely online mentoring relationship that takes place via our bespoke platform.
This develops a woman’s professional skills and confidence, helps her achieve her business goals, builds her wealth, independence, and security, and empowers her to create a better future for herself and her family. It also helps level the playing field for women entrepreneurs, who are at a disadvantage in business, creating a major impact for communities and economies and driving towards positive, sustainable global development.
Since the program’s launch in 2010, almost 10,000 women entrepreneurs from more than 100 countries have participated as mentees, with over 8,000 business professionals generously donating their time and sharing their experience as mentors.
The journey consists of four phases:
- Phase 1: building rapport, with pairs spending time getting to know each other, establishing trust, discussing, and agreeing on the ground rules for your relationship.
- Phase 2: setting the direction of the mentoring relationship and setting goals. Pairs work together to clarify and set out SMART goals and objectives to achieve together, outlining an action plan and defining what success will look like for you.
- Phase 3: working through your action plan. Checking in regularly with each other, pairs work on the short and long-term objectives that you established together.
- Phase 4: winding up your relationship as you come to the end of the program. Pairs use your remaining time together to look back on what you’ve learned and achieved. You also plan for the end of the relationship, reviewing outstanding objectives and charting out the next steps.
Mentees must be:
- A woman from and living in a low or middle-income country
- Running your own business (meaning at least 51% ownership or decision-making authority) or about to launch your own business in the next three months
- Proficient in English (at an intermediate level or above), both written and oral
- Nominated by one of our local referral partners
- Able to commit to the program for twelve months
- Able to access the internet and meet with their mentor online for a minimum of two hours a month
- Able to complete several feedback questionnaires by the stated deadline
- Willing to work with a mentor to build your business and personal development skills and confidence
Mentees are expected to…
- Meet online with your mentor for two hours minimum per month, for a year
- Be proactive in driving the mentoring relationship and setting its direction
- Undergo two to three hours of pre-matching training
- Complete interim and end-of-program surveys
- Develop and submit goals to be worked on with your mentor
- Adhere to our Code of Conduct
- A motivated, keen professional mentor, of any gender, with at least 7 years experience in business
- Bespoke, one-to-one, structured support, and guidance from a professional, to help develop your skills and expertise and work towards your business and personal development goals
- A match that aligns with your professional skills and experience
- Training to ensure a productive and collaborative experience
- Proactive and engaged ongoing support from the Foundation team
- Access to a suite of online resources to help you develop your professional skills
- Access to a closed LinkedIn networking group
- An incredible, lasting, life-changing experience