Deadline: 28 February 2022
The Secretariat of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) is pleased to announce the launch of the 2022 SADC Media Awards competition in the four categories namely; Photo, Print, Television and Radio Journalism
The SADC Media Awards are open to journalists from the SADC Member States. The first prize winners will receive their prizes and certificates on the margins of the 42nd SADC Summit of Heads of State and Government.
The SADC Media Awards were established in 1996 to recognise the best media work in disseminating information on SADC to support the process of regional cooperation and integration in the region.
The first prize winner in each category receives US$2,500 and the runner-up receives US$1000.
1. Print Journalism: comprising features/articles published in newspapers,
newsletters, websites, magazines;
• Print Journalism submissions should have a minimum of 100 (one hundred
words and a maximum of 2000 (two thousand) words.
2. Radio Journalism: comprising broadcast material;
• Radio Journalism broadcast material should have a minimum duration of 1
(one) minute and a maximum of 30 (thirty) minutes. All broadcast material
should be submitted on a CD or USB. The entries should be accompanied
by an electronic transcript in word format for translation purposes.
3. Television Journalism: comprising televised material;
• Broadcast material should have a minimum duration of 1 (one) minute and
a maximum of forty-five (45) minutes. All broadcast material should be
submitted on a CD or USB. The entries should be accompanied by
an electronic transcript in word format for translation purposes.
4. Photojournalism: comprising published pictures with a caption;
• Photographic entries should have one (1) photo, or a pictorial spread of
not more than twenty (20) photos published in one issue/edition. Each
entry must be accompanied by an original newspaper in which photo (s)
- The entries should have been published/broadcast between January and
December the year preceding the awards (2021) by a registered and/or
authorized media house or agency or carried on a website of a registered
and/or authorized media house or agency in any of the SADC Member States;
- The themes of the entries to be submitted for the competition must be on
issues and activities promoting Regional Integration in the SADC region, i.e.
infrastructure, economy, water, culture, sports, agriculture, etc.
- All media practitioners who are SADC nationals may enter the competition,
except those in institutions contracted by SADC and the SADC Secretariat
- All works entering the competition should be in one of the SADC workings
languages, i.e. English, Portuguese, French and any national indigenous
language of the SADC Region and should be submitted together with the
transcript in one of the three SADC working languages, i.e. English, French
and Portuguese. These should be published/broadcast (newspaper cutting,
websites, magazines, audio CDs, USB and newsletters.