Deadline: May 14 2022
What is the future of work in the age of automation? Many people are pinning their hopes on what is dubbed the passion, or creator, economy, where the individual is neither wage slave nor gig serf, but engages with digital technologies to leverage their own unique aptitudes and, yes, passions to forge a livelihood on their own terms, cutting out the middle man and middle management to reach clients and customers directly, thereby satisfying the human need for both material security and meaning.
Proponents argue that it is an idea whose time has come. Yet the idea is also controversial. Will the offerings of the passion economy develop beyond the fake PR of ‘influencing’ and the transitory nature of viral celebrities? Will it suffer the same fate as the short-lived ‘sharing economy’? Is it possible to democratise the economy in this way, or will the benefits be siphoned off by Big Tech gatekeepers, which are pouring money into the ‘creator’ sector in order to control if for their own ends? Is everyone fitted to do it? What kind of changes in education, management and finance would be needed to make it happen at scale?
- A cash prize of 2.000 EUR
- Complimentary in-person pass for the 14th Global Peter Drucker Forum, to be held in Vienna, Austria on November 17 & 18, 2022
- Invitation to attend the Gala event with Awards ceremony and to participate in a cultural program
- Opportunity to win the Special Recognition Award for the most original essay
- Certificate with ranking
- Invitation to join the Drucker Challenge Alumni Community on social media networks
- One-year-all-access subscription to the Harvard Business Review
- Publication: Ranking list, link to your essay, your photo, and bio on www.druckerchallenge.org. Your essay may be re-published by your university/company with credits given to Peter Drucker Society Europe
- Funding of travel expenses: Your international travel and accommodation costs for attending the Forum will be reimbursed based on our travel process & policy.
- You must be 18-35 years old (inclusive of both ages)
- You must have been selected no more than once (or not at all) among the top 10 since 2010. However, you can participate in the 2022 Contest (if still under the age of 35)
> if you were previously a student (as per your application form) and are now embarking on a career at a university;
> if you were previously a student (according to your application form) and meanwhile moved on to become a manager or entrepreneur
Essay category requirements
You can submit one essay to participate as either a student or manager or entrepreneur (please mention your main occupation in the submission form)
- You are a part-time or full-time student (bachelor, master, MBA, or PhD) or you are seeking your first opportunity after the completion of your last degree
- manager of people, projects, budgets, and/or processes
- an entrepreneur or business owner
- licensed professional
- social volunteer or community leader