Deadline: November 22, 2022
The Black List is thrilled to announce that it has once again partnered with NRDC’s (Natural Resources Defense Council) Rewrite the Future program, The Redford Center, and The CAA Foundation to launch a second iteration of the NRDC Climate Storytelling Fellowship
The Fellowship will grant $20,000 each to three writers to support revision of a feature screenplay or pilot that engages with climate change in a meaningful way through events, actions, character, emotions, plot, and/or setting.
In addition, NRDC will connect each fellowship recipient with the following professionals for feedback and guidance on their scripts:
– A credited professional screenwriter with an interest in climate storytelling
– A climate story consultant from NRDC’s Rewrite the Future program to advise on effective approaches to climate storytelling that are entertaining and impactful
– As applicable, one or more NRDC experts to advise on climate issues highlighted in the script.
– After receiving these consultations, Fellows have six (6) months to complete a revision of their script. Revised scripts may be reviewed for development by prominent studios, agencies and/or production companies including Hyperobject Industries, Madica Productions, UTA and WME.
– At the end of the Fellowship, each recipient will provide a designated representative of the NRDC with a revised version of their script along with a short reflection on how the grant has been used to advance their work and/or impacted their career.
The first 400 writers that opt in with a qualified screenplay or pilot will receive one free month of hosting and one free evaluation. If you meet these criteria when you opt in, you will receive a notification. Fee Waivers must be requested no later than October 23, 2022.
MGM seeks to discover new voices with unique perspectives from historically underrepresented communities. We are looking for creative partners who want to tell original stories with universal, all audiences appeal for the big screen. The studio is genre-agnostic and aspires to work with great talent to join the ranks of MGM’s historic studio. For the first time ever, stage plays (plays and musicals) will be accepted along with feature film samples – no pilots or webseries, please.
- Entrant must host a full-length feature screenplay or stage play (play or musical) on blcklst.com for at least one week during the submission period – January 27, 2022 – April 29, 2022
- Entrant must be the sole and exclusive author of the screenplay or play submitted for consideration.
- Film and television earnings since January 1, 2012 cannot exceed $500K (USD)
- The script must be wholly original to you and not based, in whole or in part, on any other fiction or nonfiction material, published or unpublished, produced or unproduced.
- You must be the sole owner of all rights in and to the script or play and have the sole right and authority to sell, transfer, grant, assign and convey such rights. The script must not in any way infringe upon the copyright of any person or entity or, to the best of your knowledge in the exercise of reasonable prudence, constitute libel, defamation or invasion of privacy or any other rights of any third party.
- You must be legally eligible to work in the United States and at least 21 years of age and not a minor in your state of residence at time of submission.
- Writers must affirmatively agree to the Submission Agreement and Submission Requirements for a given opportunity. These documents will be available on blcklst.com.
- Writers retain all rights to the scripts under consideration for the opportunity, though our partners are free to negotiate for those rights separately if they so wish. The Black List retains no rights to writers’ work save the right to share the scripts a writer makes available with its industry professional members.
If requested, the entrant must submit the following, which are also governed by the submission requirements and agreement:
- A one page biography/personal statement
- Contact and other personal information
- Signed originals of the Submission Agreement
Note that if you already have a script hosted on the Black List website, the deadline to opt into consideration for this fellowship is April 29, 2022 Due to varying turnaround times in completing script evaluations, the Black List strongly encourages writers wishing for paid reader evaluations to be included in their short list consideration be purchased at least one month prior to the opt-in deadline, which would be March 29, 2022. All ratings associated with the script, including those that predate the submissions period, will be considered in the final decision.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Writers who meet the submission requirements will be able to opt into consideration via the Black List website until November 30, 2022. Up to 15 writers will be invited, based on the strength of their scripts as determined by the Black List, to submit a one-page personal statement and professional resume. From those submissions, three fellowship recipients will be selected no later than February 15, 2023.
Evaluations purchased before midnight on October 30, 2022 will be guaranteed consideration. The Black List recommends—but does not require—that writers obtain at least one script evaluation for their hosted scripts, as the data from script evaluations inform the process by which the short list of writers is determined for this opportunity.