Deadline: 1st April 2022
The Mandela Scholarship is intended for South African students, who want to study at Leiden University for one semester in order to extend their knowledge and contribute to the development of South Africa.
Applicants must be:
- permanent residents of South Africa.
- enrolled at a South African University.
- motivated to upgrade or extend their knowledge in order to make a contribution towards the development of South Africa.
- Students must return to South Africa after their studies.
Scholarship or loan amount
The scholarship includes:
- Tuition fees for a one-semester study abroad program (if applicable)
- Note: exchange students are exempted from tuition fees on the basis of the exchange agreement
- Living allowance: € 1000 per month
- Insurance sponsored by AON Student Insurance and arranged by Leiden University’s Scholarships Team
- Submit an online application for admission for an exchange/study abroad courses at Leiden University.
- Once you have been admitted to an exchange/study abroad course, complete the Mandela scholarship application form.
- Submit your completed scholarship application form as a scanned email attachment to: email@example.com.
- Make sure to attach all required documents, namely: Exchange/study abroad admission letter from Leiden University
- Scholarship motivation letter
- Recent transcript of records from your South African University
- Up-to-date CV
- Photocopy of your valid passport(s)
- Two original letters of recommendation (one of which should be from an academic staff member)
- Documentation showing the status of any other grants you have applied for
- Proof of sufficient funds to support yourself in the Netherlands (the Mandela scholarship does not cover all expenses).
- This can take the form of a student grant letter showing the exact amount and duration of your grant, or a recent bank statement in your name, or a notary statement declaring that your parents have sufficient financial means to support you Visit our student website for detailed information on estimated living costs.
The selection committee will review all applications and select scholarship recipients on the basis of academic merit, motivation, and prospects for a future contribution towards the development of South Africa.
Candidates will be informed of the outcome by the Scholarships Team:
– In June, for programs beginning in September
– In November, for programs beginning in February