Deadline: September 23, 2022
The Elevate Scholarship programme is designed to strengthen the future of the news business by embracing and elevating historically under-represented and disadvantaged groups below the senior management level at news media companies.
Through Elevate Scholarships, the International News Media Association (INMA) and the Google News Initiative (GNI) want to equip new faces and voices with strong news industry fundamentals as well as networking and mentoring opportunities.
Removing obstacles for equitable inclusion in news industry training and development can shatter the glass ceiling for professionals from under-represented groups, which hampers innovation and the future of news media.
The Elevate Scholarship is for those in early- to mid-level career positions at a news media company. These positions might include marketing coordinators, writers, Web developers, designers, event coordinators, public relations heads, data developers, and many others. Individuals who apply will be looking to grow their careers, develop leadership skills, and move into higher-level positions within their companies.
- Be employed by a news media company
- Hold a position below senior management at your organization
- Be in the business of news media for less than 15 years
- Be under age 45
- Aspire to become a top manager at a news media company
- Be a part of an under-represented and disadvantaged group within your country
- Be recognized via public announcements by INMA;
- Receive a scholarship certification;
- Gain free access to 3 INMA Master Classes
- Receive a free membership in INMA for one year with full and unfettered access to the association’s global community;
- Participate in a mentoring video meet-up with Google and INMA to discuss the news industry and career development.
- There is no application fee.
- INMA and the Google News Initiative will award up to 50Elevate Scholarships based on the applicant’s needs, aspirations, barriers, and the stories they tell in the application process.