We have come to the end of the GOAL SETTING series but so far, we have been able to go through different but amazing topics on how best to set goals and actualize them.
In this post, I will be giving you a summary of what has been discussed in the series.
First of all, Business Growth is what every business owner wants but before any business can grow, there is always a process involved which is the GROWING process.
The growing process involves a lot of things including setting goals.
Why do you need to set goals?
- Goals help you to be more effective by directing your focus towards activities and behaviours that are most important.
- Goals help to energize you; the more important you perceive the goal to be, the more motivated you are to complete it
- Goals encourage you to be persistent on a task.
- Goals help you to draw on skills and knowledge you already have, or to learn new skills and knowledge appropriate for achieving the goals.
There is an aspect of goal setting which is Personal Development Goal.
What are Personal Development Goals?
Personal development goals help you to take responsibility for your own life and also become the author of your own future, rather than a passive victim of whatever others might have arranged for you.
How then do you set personal development goals?
- Create a vision
- Develop a plan
- Track your progress
- Review your plan regularly
There are 3 Key Principles of Goal Setting which are:
1) Linking your goals to your role;
2) Setting SMART Goals;
3) Tracking and Adapting Your Goals
A mission statement is a concise explanation of the organization’s reason for existence. It describes the organization’s purpose and its overall intention. The mission statement supports the vision and serves to communicate purpose and direction to employees, customers, vendors and other stakeholders.
A well-crafted mission statement focuses the business for both employees and the target audience. It serves as a framework, giving everyone involved a launching point to build from when establishing the brand. For consumers, it sets the company apart from the competition without limiting the business purpose.
What is a Personal Mission Statement and why is it important?
A personal mission statement is a statement that defines your values, who you are on how you define success. A Personal Mission Statement then helps you to:
- Understand yourself better.
- Rediscover the reason you started your company in the first place.
- Make changes by taking up alternative roles.
- Carry out your current duties much more effectively and happily by focussing on the things you love.
A SMART goal is used to help guide goal setting. A SMART goal incorporates all of these criteria to help focus your efforts and increase the chances of achieving your goal.
To make sure your goals are clear and reachable, each one should be:
*Specific (simple, sensible, significant).
*Measurable (meaningful, motivating).
*Achievable (agreed, attainable).
*Relevant (reasonable, realistic and resourced, results-based).
*Time-bound (time-based, time-limited, time/cost limited, timely, time-sensitive).
What are the Proven Strategies to Track and Monitor Your SMART Goals?
- Get buy-in from those involved
- Define Key Metrics, Timelines and Systems For Tracking Progress
- Share Your Goals Publicly
- Set Periodic Reviews
You can CATCH UP on the GOAL SETTING series HERE. You can also drop comments in the comment section and let me know what you have learnt so far, the steps you’ve taken and the results you are already seeing.