Deadline: August 8, 2022
The Commonwealth is a voluntary association of 56 independent and equal sovereign states. Its unique strength lies in the combination of its diversity and shared inheritance. The Commonwealth Secretariat in London is the principal intergovernmental agency of the Commonwealth and its backbone, promoting democracy, rule of law, human rights, good governance, and social and economic development.
The Commonwealth Secretariat is proud to support youth empowerment through our Young Professionals Programme (YPP). The YPP creates multiple opportunities for talented and qualified young people from across the Commonwealth to contribute to our core work through the transference of technical expertise, innovative ideas, specialist knowledge, and fresh perspectives.
BRIEF TASK DESCRIPTION
The Assistant Programme Officer, Software Development is responsible for providing technical and administrative support to the Section.
The Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Section forms part of the Strategy, Portfolio, Partnerships and Digital Division (SPPD) and serves as a focal point to establish technology standards of relevance to the Secretariat’s local environment, while applying and supporting the use of computer technology to enhance staff productivity and improve the quality of the Secretariat’s output. The Assistant Programmes Officer (Software Development) will be responsible for writing Software Code and APIs to support ongoing projects and activities within the Secretariat.
The Assistant Programme Officer, Software Development position is for a two-year term, as a part of the Commonwealth Young Professional Programme.
The position may involve some international travel.
A bachelor degree or equivalent, in a relevant subject area
Desirable – a Post-graduate diploma or a relevant master’s degree
- A high level of discretion and tact in handling sensitive and confidential matters
- An ability to organise, anticipate, plan and prioritise workload, and work under high pressure to tight deadlines
- An ability to interpret and follow complex information and instruction
- Effective written and oral communication and interpersonal skills, including in diplomatic situations
- An ability to undertake research and analytical tasks
- An ability to use own initiative
- An ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Microsoft 365, (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Power BI Platform**) experience
- Lateral thinking and innovation
- Demonstrated commitment to working effectively and sensitively in a multicultural environment
- Demonstrable skills in coding with R and Python
- Demonstrable skills in the use of the Net framework
- Familiarity with common Content Management Systems (CMS)
Please apply by submitting a CV and cover letter. Covering letters should be structured to address the key criteria required in the person specification, giving clear examples.
The Commonwealth is a voluntary association of 56 member governments and provides guidance on policy making, technical assistance and advisory services to Commonwealth member countries. We support governments to help achieve sustainable, inclusive, and equitable development.
To join us, you must be a citizen of a Commonwealth country.