Deadline: March 3, 2023
The Climate Investment Challenge calls on graduate students to develop and describe creative financial solutions and innovations addressing the defining challenge of our time climate change.
This could include identifying untapped climate finance opportunities or developing innovative financial structures or instruments that improve the bankability of climate investments. There is no single right answer. In the battle against climate change and its impacts, ideas across all sectors, topics, and regions are important
- The Main Competition Prize is focused on financial tools that exist today (e.g., REITs, bonds) to address a specific climate problem that is currently underserved. The winning team will be awarded £10,000.
- The Emerging Markets Prize is focused on financial tools that exist today (e.g., REITs, bonds) to address a specific Emerging Markets climate problem that is currently underserved. The winning team will be awarded £6,000.
- The Financial Disruption Prize harnesses technology to disrupt the financial industry (e.g., banking, insurance etc.) to solve climate problems at scale. The winning entrepreneurial idea will be able to utilize the prize money to develop a Minimum Viable Product (MVP). The winning team will be awarded £6,000.
- The challenge is open globally to students from all academic backgrounds.
- Students enrolled in a postgraduate degree (Master, MBA, or PhD-level) at the time of the submission. Undergraduate students may participate as long as the leader of the group is enrolled in a postgraduate degree.
- Students will have to form teams of 2 to 6 members.
Ideas will be evaluated against the following criteria:
- Implementation Feasibility
- Climate Impact
The Climate Investment Challenge goes through three stages:
- In Stage 1, your team will submit a Concept Note of your idea. If your team’s submission is selected, you’ll move on to the next stage.
- In Stage 2 (the Semi-Finals), your team will be invited to develop a detailed slide-pack of your idea. If your team’s presentation is selected, you’ll be moved on to the final stage.
- In Stage 3 (the Finals), your team will pitch your idea in front of a top-tier panel of judges from investment banking, private equity, and impact investing.