Deadline: 31 May 2022
Created in 1998, the L’Oréal–UNESCO For Women in Science International Awards recognize and support eminent women in science throughout the world. Each year, five Laureates are recognized for their contributions to the advancement of science, in Life Sciences or Physical Sciences, Mathematics and Computer Science in alternating years.
The 2023 edition of the International Awards will designate five outstanding scientific researchers in the field of Physical Sciences, Mathematics, and Computer Science, working in the following regions:
– Africa and the Arab States
– Asia and the Pacific
– Latin America and the Caribbean
– North America
One candidate will be selected for each of the five regions, the determining factor being the place of work for at least 5 years, not the nationality of the candidate. Each of the five Laureates will receive an Award of €100,000.
The candidate must:
- Be recognized for her scientific excellence by the international scientific community,
- Be actively involved in scientific research,
- Work in any of the scientific fields listed in Appendix 1.
The candidates’ selection criteria are the following:
- The candidate’s outstanding contribution to the advancement of science,
- The impact of the candidate’s research on the current state of the relevant scientific field (number, quality, and impact of publications, conference presentations, patents),
- The recognition of the candidate by peers within her discipline through publications,
- The recognition of the candidate’s commitments to education, teaching activities, mentoring and/or to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals more broadly.
For Women in Science International Awards are non–renewable.
Each Laureate will receive a €100,000 Award, which is presented personally to the Laureate, in recognition of her commitment and contribution to the advancement of scientific research.
The Foundation L’Oréal will make the payment of the Award directly to the Laureates a few months after the deliberation and upon reception of the necessary original documents for the wire transfer of funds. The Awards are not transferable for any other purpose whatsoever.