Deadline: February 15, 2023
According to an agreement between the Alliance of International Science Organizations (ANSO), the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), and The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS/UNESCO) for the advancement of science in developing countries, up to 40 students/scholars from developing countries will be sponsored to study in China for doctoral degrees for up to 4 years.
The ANSO Scholarship for Young Talents (hereinafter referred to as the ANSO Scholarship) was formally launched in 2019 with the goal of training and cultivating young scientists from all over the world. The ANSO Scholarship supports 200 Master’s students and 300 PhD students every year to pursue postgraduate education at the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS), or institutes of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) around China.
This year, a sub-category of the ANSO Scholarship: the ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship is being officially launched. Echoing the priority of TWAS/UNESCO, special (not exclusive) consideration will be given to two target groups: Least Development Countries (LDCs) and women. Up to 40 PhD students from developing countries in the South will be selected by TWAS/UNESCO into this category every year.
- Tuition waiver
- Monthly stipend:6,000 or 7,000 CNY/month (depending on whether the awardee has passed the qualification test arranged by the University), up to 48 months.
- Health insurance
- Application fee waiver
- International travel allowance from the awardee’s home country to China (one trip per awarded candidate).
- One-time visa
- Eligible applicants should NOT hold Chinese citizenship;
- Eligible applicants must be nationals of eligible developing countries in the South (Developing Countries in the South | TWAS)
- Eligible applicants should be proficient in English or Chinese;
- For PhD program applicants: you should be born after 1st January 1988 (inclusive);
- Eligible applicants should meet the admission criteria for international students of USTC/UCAS;
- Eligible applicants should NOT take up other assignments during the period of his/her scholarship.
- If the applicant is currently pursuing a doctoral degree at any university/institution in China, s/he will NOT be eligible for the PhD program of this scholarship. Otherwise, s/he will be disqualified from admission and the situation will be reported to the current university/institution
- You are NOT allowed to apply for the ANSO Scholarship in both USTC and UCAS simultaneously, otherwise, you will be disqualified from admission.
Deadline for Applicants and Referees: 15 February 2023 (Beijing Time)
1. Application Materials
- For USTC applicants, refer to Application Guideline for Graduate Applicants to USTC
- For UCAS applicants, please refer to the Call for 2023 Doctoral Programs for International Students and the Call for 2023 Master’s Programs for International Students here
2. Application Portal
- File and submit your application in the USTC/UCAS admission system as requested before the deadline.
When applying, first choose “the ANSO Scholarship for Young Talents” in your application then check the box as instructed in the application system to apply for the ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO Scholarship.
Choose BOTH Young Talents AND then ANSCO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO Scholarship when applying.