Deadline: January 10, 2023
Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS) is an academic exploratory program that brings together high school students worldwide to facilitate discussions on cutting-edge topics in academia. Participants choose a session based on their academic interests and meet like-minded peers from around the world.
Each summer, students from over 150 countries (including all 50 U.S. states) participate in one interdisciplinary, two-week session at Yale’s historic campus. Immerse yourself in a global learning community at Yale University. Join YYGS, interact with Yale professors and instructors, and learn global perspectives from international peers.
YYGS offers sessions in the humanities, social sciences, and STEM fields, and a cross-disciplinary track that incorporates all of the above.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Students meet peers from over 150 countries and all 50 U.S states and join classroom discussions where students offer global perspectives.
- They provide over $3 Million USD in need-based financial aid and scholarships, offered as discounts covering up to 100% of tuition costs.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply by the Early Action deadline for a discounted application fee. If the fee poses a financial burden, students can submit a fee waiver to reduce their application fee to $10 USD.
Session I Residential (June 18-June 30)
- Innovations in Science & Technology (IST I)
- Literature, Philosophy, & Culture (LPC I)
- Politics Law & Economics (PLE I)
- Solving Global Challenges (SGC I)
Session II Residential (July 2 – July 14)
- Innovations in Science & Technology (IST II)
- Literature, Philosophy, & Culture (LPC II)
- Politics Law & Economics (PLE II)
- Solving Global Challenges (SGC II)
Session III Residential (July 16-July 28)
- Innovations in Science & Technology (IST III)
- Literature, Philosophy, & Culture (LPC III)
- Politics Law & Economics (PLE III)
- Solving Global Challenges (SGC III)
YYGS offers over $3 Million USD in need-based financial aid for U.S. domestic and international students.
- Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Alumni Scholarship: Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Alumni Scholarships will be awarded to selected students who completed the YYAS program in any summer prior to 2023. The scholarship covers full tuition and travel costs for students to attend any of the YYGS sessions offered in 2023.
Young Leaders (YL) ScholarshipL YL Scholarships will be awarded to selected students in the U.S and internationally who self-identify as at least ONE of the following:
- Black or African American (including Africa and the Caribbean)
- Hispanic and/or Latino/Latina/Latinx
- Members of indigenous peoples, nations, and/or communities
The YL scholarship covers full tuition and travel costs for students to attend any of the YYGS Sessions offered in 2023.
YYGS accepts applications from ALL countries and offers the opportunity for students to apply for need-based financial aid to students from all countries.
- Be at least 16 years old by July 16, 2023 (the first day of Session III).
- Be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Be a current high school sophomore or junior (or international equivalent).
- Be graduating in May/June 2024 or 2025 from the Northern Hemisphere, or in Nov./Dec. 2023 or 2024 from the Southern Hemisphere.
- Be a first-time participant in YYGS. If you have participated in a YYGS session during a previous summer (2022 and prior), then you are not eligible to participate during YYGS 2023. Please note: If you previously applied to YYGS but were not offered admission or were unable to attend AND you meet the eligibility criteria noted above, then you are encouraged to re-apply for YYGS 2023.
All students must submit the following application components:
- Activities list
- One 400-word essay and one 200-word response
- Two “fast take” responses (28 characters each)
- Official school transcript
- One recommender (who will complete the YYGS Recommendation Form ONLY)
- Application fee ($60 for Early Action and $75 for Regular Decision).
- You must click the Submit Application button on the “Review” page for your application to be considered.
- OPTIONAL: English fluency test scores (TOEFL or DuoLingo)
- OPTIONAL: Need-based financial aid.
YYGS will waive the application fee if it constitutes a significant financial burden for the student’s family. The link to the Fee Waiver Request Form is available on the “Payment Options” page in the YYGS application, but it will only appear there AFTER students have fully completed the “Financial Aid” page in the YYGS application (as it is only available for those who request need-based financial aid). Students who apply for a fee waiver must have a school official finalize the form.