Deadline: May 15, 2022
Women around the world currently make up more than half of the college-educated workforce. However, STEM fields are made up of only 28% women. Women and girls who desire to learn more about STEM often face a challenging set of circumstances in fields that are traditionally dominated by men. (See the American Association of University Women for more details). That’s why we have created a program dedicated to the future of women in STEM fields. By providing an opportunity for girls from around the world to explore their interests in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, we can start to change this trend and open up more possibilities for the perspectives of women in the greater goal of reaching a sustainable future.
Scholarship winners will participate in 12 week all-virtual programs focusing on emerging and critical STEM skills and fields, global competence education, and social impact (co-developed with the University of Pennsylvania). Scholars will enrich their STEM knowledge and skills through interactive, hands-on curriculum, while developing critical global competencies, including problem-solving, analytical skills, intercultural understanding, and the ability to build bridges across cultures.
The program culminates with team projects and presentations that offer potential solutions to real-world challenges, with an emphasis on climate change and the energy transition. Scholars who complete the program earn the Advanced Certificate on Global Competence for Social Impact, awarded by AFS and the University of Pennsylvania Center for Social Impact Strategy.
- Must be 15-17.5 years old at the program start date
- Ability to participate fully, both online and in a classroom setting, in a program conducted entirely in English.
- Interest in STEM, sustainability, and global competencies
- Curiosity and willingness to interact with diverse global peers and explore new cultures
- A computer, smartphone or another digital device to access the virtual program content
- An integrated webcam and microphone for participation in online dialogue sessions
- Stable internet or wifi connection
- Talented young women from all backgrounds who reflect the diversity of populations around the world, particularly underrepresented populations, and students with high financial need, are strongly encouraged to apply!